Remember back in the 90s when you used to hit the salad bar at the grocery store and pile on cheese and bacon atop lettuce smothered in thousand island dressing and be like “Look at my healthy salad”? – yeah that was so not healthy and so not appetizing.
Flash Forward to today and we are in line at Cava Grill, the new Mediterranean fast-casual concept now open in Irvine, CA. While in line we read their information wall and learned all about the sustainable local farms Cava partners with to bring you fresh and earth-friendly fruit and veggies which makes us feel we are definitely not in the “who cares?” 90s anymore. Cava cares and is committed to providing good food in a sustainable way. We also feel good they are all about community and partner with local foundations to promote garden programs at schools. Our hearts are full and we haven’t even taken a bite!
Now we are at the front of the line and ready to order….
Cava makes it easy to create your own salad by giving you a simple 1-2-3 step process:
First Choose Your Base: choice of salad, choice of grains, greens+grains, soup or pita
Second Choose Your Dips + Spreads (up to 3) : among them Tzatziki, Eggplant & Roasted Red Pepper, Crazy Feta
Third Choose Your Protein: like falafel, spicy lamb meatballs, grilled chicken, roasted seasonal vegetables
Top it off with one of their housemade dressings like Sriracha Greek yogurt or lemon herb tahini and add as many toppings as you’d like and you’ve created a masterpiece that could be displayed in the National Museum of Salad (well if there was such a place). Until then our work of art is ours to admire and is on display below:
Here’s what we love about Cava:
- Three Greek childhood friends, Ike Grigoropoulos, Dimitri Moshovitis, and Ted Xenohristos from the East Coast started Cava. We like the camaraderie of a “family” owned business and can feel the love in each of the homemade dressings and dips.
- The dips are amazing. The Crazy Feta is one we wish they would sell at Whole Foods for us to buy by the tub… oh wait, they do do that. (You can pick up Cava dips and spreads at selected Whole Foods locations)
- Fresh and tasty juices like Pumpkin Apple and Blackberry Sage, are homemade, all natural, and made with fresh ingredients… and are the perfect accompaniment to your Cava bowl.
- The location is perfect next to key shopping, ample parking, and the interiors are clean and bright – ideal for instagramming your lunch! #nofilterneeded
- We love the easy-to-order process. There are no-frills ingredients, just farm-fresh deliciousness for you to pile high and enjoy with little to no guilt.