Don’t look away meat eaters!
I tend to lean towards being a vegan foodie – yes I get excited by vegetables and nuts that can be blended into cheese. I also get hot and heavy over jackfruit tacos and butternut squash enchiladas, both of which Seabirds Kitchen has on their meatless menu.
A magical wizardry of vegan delights, Seabirds Kitchen gets props for creativity as they wave their magic wand to make chorizo tamales, grilled cheese sammies, and bbq sliders – and yes all using veggies and nuts. Nothing to fear carnivores!
The light and airy Seabirds Kitchen is a far cry from their food truck days. Today, their home is in the spiritually hipster The Lab in Costa Mesa. The key is not to get overwhelmed by their deliciously cruel-free menu, but to take advantage of their small plates and share with friends. Don’t forget to check out their brunch too – Prosecco and birdy marys to die for!
Here is my top 5 faves at Seabirds Kitchen:
- Purple Taquitos ~ purple potatoes, chipotle sour cream, fermented curtido, almond feta and cilantro (three per order)
- Burnt Brussels Sprouts ~roasted to a crisp and tossed with fried garlic, lime and dijon mustard.
- Old Towne Grilled Cheese ~ sourdough grilled cheese melt with sharp cashew “gruyere” spread, basil avocado sauce and provolone cheese.
- Kale Caesar – organic green kale, roasted cherry tomato, dill croutons
- Butternut Squash Enchiladas – butternut squash, spinach, black bean and mushroom enchiladas with roasted pasilla pepper sauce, almond feta, Seabirds sauce and cilantro. served with arugula salad and sliced avocado.
Seabirds Kitchen at The Lab 2930 Bristol St. Costa Measa, CA 92626. 714.549.2584. Hours M-F 11am-9pm. Sat-Sun 10am-9pm. Brunch Sat-Sun 10am-2pm.